September 22, 2008

sleepwalking

I have something new to add to my motherhood paranoia. Yes, that paranoia that many mothers have of the worst things possible happening to their children even when there's a one in gazillion chance of it ever happening. Sleepwalking. Not my sleepwalking. Asia sleepwalking! I've heard her and Zach talk in their sleep before, that's not new. We all do that. But last night, John and I were watching a movie and I heard something outside my bedroom door. John paused the movie and I opened the door to see Asia kneeling on the floor. She had both hands twisting something imaginary and she was muttering something. I heard that you're not supposed to interrupt sleepwalkers, so I just picked her up and led her back to bed. She eventually woke up and told me she was thirsty. It spooked Zach too because he had heard something and got out of bed. I told him to go back to bed, but he came back to Asia's room a few times to see if she was okay. I wonder what she was dreaming about though. It was like she was turning two faucet knobs or something. Anyway, now I'm wondering, do I need a gate in front of the stairs? Would she fall down them? Would she walk somewhere else and hit her head? Ahhh! You get the paranoia now. So tonight, I put a bunch of stuffed animals around her legs. Hoping that they would deter her from moving too much. Or maybe they'll make a sound when they fall off the bed and she'll wake up. Good strategy, right? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment