October 09, 2009

construction time again

Ooh, it's been awhile since I've written in this blog. Maybe nothing beats Paris? It's more not wanting to sit too much more in front of the computer as well as having to jog my memory on what happened to have something to write about.

John has started construction on our new kitchen! He's torn down the wall between the living room and the kitchen. Here's a pic with half of the wall removed.He put in new flooring which consisted of tearing out the ceramic tile that was installed, which then revealed a few layers of linoleum. Yes, "wonderful" shades of dark green or some red brick or something. I forget already. Who knows what years those were from. Not to mention revealing some interesting white shiny wallpaper that was painted over a few times. Zach helped out in removing the ceramic tile since he got paid a dollar for every tile. And it wasn't easy work. I tried to help a few times. You hammer a chisel under the tile until it cracks and pieces of it flies into your face. Yes, I was wearing protective glasses, but that only covers your eyes.

Of course to get to all the floor, the stove had to be moved.


We kept cooking on it until eventually it was moved outside and covered with a tarp. Hopefully we don't get rid of it without removing my cookie trays and pizza stones that are in the bottom drawer.

So how do I cook in the meantime? Well, of course, we go out quite often. Last night, Asia and I went to Olive Garden. John and Zach were at soccer practice. The night before was Chan's Tea House. Again, we brought food home since Zach probably had hockey. But for lunch since I rarely have time to go out... today I had ramen. Notice how I cooked it.



Good ol outdoor cooking. Luckily it wasn't raining. So now John has the new floor down. It hasn't been stained yet. Looks kinda neat with the zigzag of old and new wood.


The kitchen/dining room space has a nice openness to it. An echo when you talk. Yesterday, we were looking at reviews for ranges and stovetops. Exciting. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment