January 30, 2011

Romp N Roll

Today was the Girl Scouts Romp N Roll day where each girl scout in our area (West Perry) gets to bring a friend to roller skate. Asia brought Acacia this year. Last year we tried to go and Asia got the stomach flu a few minutes before we left. Literally - we were walking out the door with Asia and her friend Lydia. Asia says that she's not feeling well, and then she pukes all over the floor. I told her that it worked out right that we hadn't left yet. This time, all went well. My new GPS-enabled phone got us to the skating rink without any problem, even though it took us on a back road that seemed sketchy. Once we were there, it took Asia a few tries before she was comfortable with her skates. First it was a size 1 inline skate. That was too small. Then a size 2 inline skate, it was too wobbly. Then size 2 four-wheel skates - those made her fall all the time. Then back to size 2 inline skates -but one of them was defective so she wore two different types. A few mistarts. Luckily Acacia is a patient girl and waited each false start.

Asia actually skates pretty well (for not skating that often). I watched from the sidelines, debating on whether I should go talk with some other mom's or read or keep a vigilant eye. I get really paranoid. I told Asia that I could never take her sledding because if I did, I wouldn't let her have any fun. I'd probably end up yelling - don't sled that way, watch out for that kid, there's a bump there, veer left! I'd be the only mom out there yelling amongs a sea of dads.

Towards the end of the skating time, I was chatting with another mom, and then bam! Asia took a big spill. I could tell by the way she was slowly getting up that she was hurt. I helped her off the rink, gave her a few hugs, and then reminded her that Acacia was probably looking for her. Asia was a trooper. She dried off her tears and went back out on the rink. She's been getting a lot tougher these days. It used to be that she'd get hurt and then she was done for the day. Now she gets up and keeps going. That's my girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment