September 19, 2007

cooking skills gone to pot

I was making Spanish rice the other day. I wanted a starch for dinner fast - so I pulled out this Trader Joe's rice mix. I actually ready the recipe directions which meant put in 2 1/2 cups of water to boil and optional oil or butter. I ommitted those, thinking it'd be healthier. I poured in the packet. Once it got to a boil, I turned down the heat and was supposed to let it simmer for 20 minutes. Well, I checked on it 15 -20 minutes later and it was still soupy, so I let it cook 10 minutes more. In the meantime, I'm cooking some shrimp and what-not. When everything else was ready, I told John that I made Spanish rice too but it didn't seem to be working. He asked me if I put the rice in. I guess Spanish rice would mean that rice should be cooking, right? heh heh. Well, little did I know that John had already used the rice from the box and one of the spice packets. All I was boiling was the spices. I was wondering why the packet seemed so light. I was thinking it was some miracle rice. Like those spongey toys you buy in the store. You put them in the water and watch them grow to ten times their size. Come on! I'm Asian! I should know there is no miracle rice like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment